Pages

Saturday, May 1, 2010

Holiday Letter 2001

I will borrow a phrase from Dorothy, Nate’s sister-inlaw. “Won’t you come in and have a cup of tea with me?” I’d like to spend a little time with each of you. This year has been one of reawakening how important you are to me. As I take what seems a huge risk to be executive director of a new non-profit organization, The Marriage Coalition, thoughts about people I love give me courage. I feel so much love and gratitude for Nate, our wonderful family, friends, and colleagues.
Because Cleveland is in an economic depression, it is difficult to raise money for The Marriage Coalition. However, in spite of the difficulty, we have attracted supporters, have grown, and have produced some excellent programs. The support of a talented, creative, dedicated and loving interfaith Board of Trustees makes it worth the anxiety over whether we will receive grant support or whether our classes will fill.
Nate says, “2001 has been a ‘pivotal year’ for me. Once I accepted the severe hit to our retirement portfolios, necessitating delaying our retirement date another three years, I could focus on the business at hand. My clinical practice matured and stabilized nicely, with less energy invested in survival and more access to flowing with the process of maintaining a sustainable case load and dealing with the ineffic-iencies of managed care companies. In keeping with the stereotype of old folks who talk a lot about physical matters, this year marked my first surgery experience -‘scoped’ my left knee for torn cartilage. This aging thing is not what I hoped it would be, what with the decline in vision, hearing and joint movement! 2001 held some significant events: (1) my 40th high school reunion, including a stop to see my Principal, Mr. Jack Kappmeyer and his wife of many, many years. Where have all the years gone!? It felt poignant to realize that we’ve made it this far, despite our vulnerabilities. (2) induction into the Ellsworth Community College Hall of Fame (Iowa Falls, Iowa). (3) the Thanksgiving gathering of all three of our blended-family children and their spouses and children, thanks to Jonathan’s suggestion. We felt like a real family – I feel so proud of each and every one of them. Even the killer scrabble games were memorable.”
Dylan and Heidi, located in St. Louis, have come through a challenging time and seem to be thriving now. Heidi has been ill with chronic pain and fibromyalgia, making normal activities difficult. They moved from a large new home to a smaller, older home because Heidi was unable to work. The move turned out to be blessing because the house brings the family together, and the neighborhood is near interesting activities and Dylan’s work. Recently Heidi returned to work. Samantha, age 4 and Max, age 3, are in preschool and flourishing. They can have detailed phone conversations with me, which warms my heart.
Ariana and Sunil enjoy Alexandria, Va., and are looking for a house to buy there. Ariana enjoys her job at the Asia Society because she meets so many interesting people from different countries. Sunil has a great job as an engineer manager at Dulles International Airport. We will be spending Christmas with them. It’s a first for us to spend a holiday with our children.
We saw Jonathan for the first time in over two years. Jon lives in Idaho and works for a university fish research laboratory. He supplies himself with deer, duck, geese, and fish from hunting and fishing near his home. He brought with him meat from deer, antelope, sturgeon, and trout, which added to our Thanksgiving menu. He seems to appreciate us more and want more family connection. Ahhh, I didn’t think I’d live so long. And what a joy it was, to really connect, all of us talking openly about our hopes, dreams, schemes, and lives.

May you have a healthy and blessed year ahead.

Much love, Sandra and Nate

No comments:

Post a Comment