Pages

Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Siddhartha Gautama (563-483 BCE) - Prince in Northern India

The Four Noble Truths

Dukkha - Life is suffering

Tanha - Suffering arises from attachment to that which impermanent

Nirodha - To cease suffering, one must cease attachment to that which is impermanent

Marga - The way to cease suffering and attain Nirvana (extinguishment of desire) is to undertake the Eightfold Path


The Eightfold Path

Right understanding: I recognize the impermanence of life, the mechanism of
desire, and the cause of suffering

Right intention: My thought and motives are pure, not tainted by my emotions and self desires

Right speech: I speak honestly and kindly, in positive ways, avoiding lies, exaggeration, harsh words

Right action: My actions do not hurt any other being that can feel hurt, including animals; I avoid stealing and sexual conduct that would bring hurt

Right work: My livelihood does no harm

Right effort: With moderation, I consistently strive to improve

Right meditation: I use disciplines of meditation and focused awareness to contemplate the nature of reality more deeply

Right contemplation: I cultivate states of inner stillness and peace (samadhi)

No comments:

Post a Comment