Pages

Sunday, November 13, 2011

Claude Williams - Poem


















More than fifty years have elapsed since Claude and I first met,
During those innocent times at Ellsworth Junior College.

Standing 6’ 6” in all, the most gifted athlete I ever played with
or competed against on the basketball court.

As an elementary school teacher,
He became one of the most exceptional in the Los Angeles system.

A seeker he was, evidenced by venturing into owning a trucking rig,
And developing his interests in owning and breeding horses.

Through the years, he’s held a special place in my life and soul,
Cementing a brotherly bond, unmatched by my own blood brothers.

Opening his home and family for support and comfort,
During the darkest periods of my life.

Now in the throes of physical and mental decline,
Heightened by a stroke, and relegated to a nursing home.

In the doings of his daughter Jennifer’s wedding,
A current day reunion took place in Dana Point, California.

Reminiscing held special appeal, though lacking some clarity,
Yet validating his special place in my life journey,

Thank you Claude for the love and support you have bestowed on me,
I am forever grateful and humbled by you and your family.

“Odie”

11/12/2011

No comments:

Post a Comment