Pages

Thursday, April 3, 2014

Letter to the Editor

Kemper Plant

Having just read of the $177 million cost overrun in constructing the coal-fired Kemper electrical generating plant, a cost that is attached to a near $6 billion investment, I sit in bewilderment.  $6 billion could have gone a long way in reducing the cost of energy production while positively impacting the climate, if progressive-minded leaders in the political and utility segments exercised leadership foresight.  When countries such as Germany are closing down many of their generating plants as a followup to leadership initiatives creating heavy investments in renewable energy projects, why oh why is Mississippi so regressive in its support of such undertakings?  I realize anything smacking of progressive-minded undertakings is likely to be eschewed by a deeply conservative socio-political State citizenry.  It feels lonely to be one a handful of Pine Belt home owners with solar panels!  Every day I rest in joy that my carbon footprint is made less!  Who would like to join me and my cohorts in expanding the shrinkage?


Nate Bender, Petal, MS - 4/3/14

No comments:

Post a Comment