Pages

Sunday, January 10, 2016

From Invincibility to Vunerability

From Invincibility to Vulnerability
By Nate bender
12/4/2015


I’ve lived most of my life possessing confidence in my ability to overcome any adversity, whether from injuries or personal failings or professional set-backs.  In late October, 2015 my confidence became challenged.  Gall bladder surgeries became the setting and material around which this story is created.  May my revelations find meaning in the lives of the reader.

2015 has been quite a journey into my eighth decade.   In February, I under went cochlear implant surgery, along side cataract surgery complications from a December, 2014 procedure.  Over the course of the year, my physical vigor became notably less, along with my appetite.  Soon after returning from our September two-week excursion to the Black Hills and Iowa, blood lab work revealed my liver enzymes to be exceedingly high. 

The medical system became quickly mobilized, resulting in my undergoing an endoscopy procedure, conducted locally.  Then I under went a follow up enhanced version at Ochsner Medical Center in New Orleans.  Something unusual was looming, requiring urgency.  Shortly thereafter, I under went a three-hour plus laparoscopic surgery to remove my gall bladder, resulting in complications and elevating my state of vulnerability.  Never have I experienced such discomfort, making death a welcome alternative!  In my fragile state, I welcomed anything that would put me to sleep. 

The very next morning, October 30, an ‘open surgery’ was performed to correct what was not corrected the previous day.  Dr. Girod reported that my gall bladder was over due for removal, and should have been excised some 10-15 years ago!  Upon waking from anesthesia, it was clear that a new day had dawned.  The dreaded feeling was replaced with a sleepy calm.

Having weathered my first foray into a near-death emotional experience, my five-day hospitalization became memorable.  Having ample time for mental drifting, between bouts of sleep, it seemed like I was reliving my entire life.  Long forgotten memories became vivid.  Insights into periods of joys and sorrows produced a state of serenity.  Interactions with hospital staff became more personal and mutually caring.  My discharge time produced compassionate and tender farewells.

So what have I gained from this experience?  Foremost, becoming vulnerable induces a state of freedom, a freedom to accept what is in the moment.  Earlier demands to be strong and invincible no longer held priority.  Goals and objectives took secondary positions to the emerging experiences of a new life, one without a gall bladder! 

I would be remiss to not acknowledge the surrounding cast of supportive friends and family, led by my endearing and enduring wife Sandra.  E-mails, texts and Facebook postings, along with flowers and visits transmitted healing energy, while buoying my spirits.  Sandra weathered all four procedures, steadfastly waiting on the sidelines for my awakenings.  She also endured the initial span of uncertainty surrounding cancer being a possible root cause, making her commitment to my health, well being and longevity ever resident.  I am a very fortunate man to live out my life with such a life partner and circle of family and friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment