Pages

Monday, March 17, 2014

Growing up Lutheran

Growing up Lutheran
By Nate Bender – 3/12/2014

The setting for this story is rural, northeast Iowa, contained in the little village (population 250) of Westgate.  Virtually all the adult residents were first generation offspring of German immigrants.  In addition, they were card-carrying Lutherans, of the Missouri Synod brand. 

St. Peter’s Lutheran Church and its adjoining school facility (covering grades kindergarten through 8th) was the center piece for socialization, learning and worship.

Most homes contained denominational study materials to be employed as part of meal-time activities.  Of course, prayers were said in unison before and after meals.  Unlike in the South, unscripted praying was not in vogue!  

Indoctrination began early in life.  Expectations held that all of God’s little Lutheran children would grow to be devotees to the faith and conveyors of the Word to the next generation. 

My parents, Erwin and Lena Bender, lacking formal education, were life long practitioners of a belief system that eschewed other denominations and religions, including Judaism.

Once my school years began, exposure to the full depth and breadth of Lutheran dogma came to the forefront, leaving wounds that required a goodly amount of healing later in my adult life. 

In my early school years, images and stories of hell and its having eternal flames were presented with grand clarity.  It felt like I was being slapped in the face by a punishing God, one who showed no mercy for those who didn’t walk the straight and narrow path of righteousness. Fears of dying and being condemned to eternal damnation held a relentless grip, resulting in night mares and night terrors.  Additionally, I developed eczema rashes over most of my body.

The traumas surrounding my early religious exposure were assuaged by sporting activities.  Playing football, basketball and soft ball filled my waking hours with dreams and visions of glory in other domains.  These outlets carried me to a larger world,
quite removed from the constricting life in which I was raised.  Expansion of my perceptions became a life long pursuit

No comments:

Post a Comment