Pages

Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Fathers Day Note from Son

6/23/09


Hey Dad!


I was so busy doing non-fathers day stuff on Sunday that I actually forgot it was fathers day. I guess that with my life-long pattern of forgetting significant days and the first effects of aging, I'm becoming a not-good son and family member. I need Emily around to keep my head on straight (she just returned last night). So, for what it's worth: happy father's day. I'm finding myself daily embodying the peaceful, patient, consistent behaviors that made me feel so safe growing up with you, and I thank you for, once again, passing down to me the skills and peace of mind to be a better human being. Amazing, how all-over-the-map I was as a younger man, chaotic and problematic, but in fatherhood I find myself centered, gentle and patient. I attribute most of that to you, and a bit to Emily (who's tempered me somewhat-- what's that you said about grapes?). So for all you've done, and all the distance you traveled since your own youth to make the best of whatever situation you found yourself in - empowered, optimistic, and joyful - Thank you. I hate to think of what I'd be without you (I guess I wouldn't be at all...)


Love,


your son Jonathan

No comments:

Post a Comment