Pages

Friday, April 30, 2010

Memorial Letter to James Bender

August 5, 2007

Dear James & Family,

I regret that I was not able to attend the memorial service for Dorothy and its attending gatherings, as my life seems more and more complex in these retirement years! However, my thoughts, memories and prayers remain with all of you.

Dorothy’s passing has triggered multiple reflections and much reminiscing. I remember so vividly going over to the upstairs of Walter Potraz’s house, where you had your 1st married-life home, where even one of my birthday’s was celebrated. I always had a nice feeling about the prospect of being around you and Dorothy. I also have vivid memories of caring for Mark and Mike during different transitions and your ultimate moving to Aitkin.

While I barely remember kindergarten, I do retain impressions of Dorothy’s encouraging ways as a teacher. It no doubt contributed to whatever academic success I was able to achieve in the following years.

Perhaps the most endearing memory I have of the two of you, and the children that were created, is your collective ability to persevere and find a way to make do with minimal resources. I believe I have retained and applied those traits in my own life. In addition, you held an abiding faith that you were in God’s hands.

Lastly, I feel comforted in the fact that the next generation of Benders have been

fruitfully multiplied and reside in Minnesota! It is a shame that so much geographical distance has remained over these many years.

God Bless each and every one of you. With loving feelings and comforting thoughts I leave you.

Nate

No comments:

Post a Comment